Need advice from your New London, CT, dentists?
Dental hygiene is essential for your oral health. Dr. Thomas Matyas, Dr. Janellen Matyas and Dr. Teresa Matyas give tips on maintaining good oral hygiene to prevent serious dental issues.
Here's what your New London dentist advises:
- Avoid drinking too much coffee and tea
- Dental checkups every six months to examine teeth and gums for cavities
- Use fluoride-containing products like toothpaste and mouthwash to help repair teeth
- Brush teeth at least twice a day
- Stop chewing tobacco and smoking
- Professional dental cleanings to remove hardened plaque that's accumulated on and around teeth and gums
- Floss at least once before bed to remove food debris
There are several procedures you may need if you don't take care of your teeth:
- Crowns: Crowns completely cover a tooth and are used if a tooth is weakened by a crack, fracture, large filling or root canal treatment.
- Fillings: Decay is removed from your teeth and your dentist replaces decay with composite or porcelain fillings that match the rest of your teeth.
- Veneers: These porcelain restorations are similar to crowns but they are cemented on the surface of teeth to hide unappealing issues like crack, dents, and yellowed teeth.
- Root canal therapy: A dental restoration needed when someone has an infected or inflamed tooth that needs to be cleaned, disinfected and sealed to prevent any more bacteria from entering.
- Bridges: This restoration is similar to dental implants but it doesn't replace a tooth root, just the gap left from losing a tooth.
- Dental implants: A titanium implant is inserted in your jaw to fuse with bone and replace damaged/decayed tooth roots. An abutment and crown are placed on top to finish the procedure.
Severe dental issues may result if you don't maintain a healthy dental remedy. If you have any questions, or concerns, about good oral hygiene habits and taking care of your dental restorations, just call Drs. Thomas, Janellen and Teresa Matyas at their New London, CT, office at (860) 443-4199 today!